Repairs to Hellcat

For own design models
Post Reply
David Cowley

Repairs to Hellcat

Post by David Cowley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi all

Amongst the other building projects I have been doing, I have also had to repair my Hellcat, which due to mixture of things had a catastrophic crash on its maiden flight. now all of you know that this plane is my first attempt at Blue foam building, I must confess that looking at the model after its crash, I thought that it was a bin job. but 30 minutes later using epoxy glue by junior/son, it was back in one piece, see pics.

Because we do not fully understand what happened, how it crashed, I decided that maybe I should fit a smaller engine (the original first flight had a 32 size engine, son did say 'do not to blick twice dad', it will be in orbit) so now I have fitted a ASP 21, although son says it will now only pass the sound barrier, but I have fitted my 15 size engine into the Mini Jazz. so it will have to do.

Following Davids project on Blue Foam building and the speed and ease of repairing this Hellcat my whole outlook on model building is begining to change.

David
Attachments
DSC00039.JPG
this pic shows the front cut to length, covered with paper,painted, fire wall and engine fitted
DSC00039.JPG (57.9 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
DSC00020.JPG
This view shows a new front just glued on ready for covering and cutting to length
DSC00020.JPG (57.61 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
DSC00019.JPG
This view shows the wing fully glued together (Blue foam breaks with a clean edge) and locally covered in brown paper
DSC00019.JPG (60.09 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

David Cowley

Re: Repairs to Hellcat

Post by David Cowley » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi all
The only problem I have with the Hellcat repair is the front engine cowl, this was totalled in the crash, so I have had to make a new one using a mould and 3 ltr. bottle, see pics
Attachments
DSC00004.JPG
final pic showing the cowl fitted and the plane finally painted and ready to be noise tested with the new engine
DSC00004.JPG (57.9 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
DSC00001.JPG
this pic shows the cowl fitted
DSC00001.JPG (58.04 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
DSC00042.JPG
this pic shows the cowl now cut out ready to be fitted
DSC00042.JPG (57.04 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
DSC00041.JPG
thipic shows the mouled cowl
DSC00041.JPG (59.4 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
DSC00040.JPG
this is a pic showing the bottle and mould I had to make
DSC00040.JPG (57.6 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Repairs to Hellcat

Post by Colin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Good to see that the pop bottle method actually works! Good job :)

DCowley
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Re: Repairs to Hellcat

Post by DCowley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi all

Well its been a long time since I made any reviews etc., so, I have sorted lots out and this is the beginning of a lot of catching up.

Now as you can see above I made a new Cowl using the bottle method, but I was not totally satisfied, well to cut a long story short, for various reasons I purchased a 3D Printer (this will be the subject of another log) so, using my 3D printer I have printed a new Cowl see pics.
Last edited by DCowley on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DCowley
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Re: Repairs to Hellcat

Post by DCowley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Well not quite sure what went wrong,but here are the pics
DSC00022.JPG
DSC00022.JPG (61.63 KiB) Viewed 766 times
DSC00023.JPG
DSC00023.JPG (56.62 KiB) Viewed 766 times
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00024.JPG (58.33 KiB) Viewed 766 times
DSC00025.JPG
DSC00025.JPG (59.54 KiB) Viewed 766 times
DSC00026.JPG
DSC00026.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 766 times
DSC00027.JPG
DSC00027.JPG (59.8 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Post Reply