Veron Tiger Moth

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Well no updates for a while for various reasons, but there has been progress, focussing on getting the control surfaces fitted and the linkages put in place.
The original kit called for pushrods using 1/4" sq balsa, but I decided I wanted to emulate the full size with closed loop external cables...

Full size run.jpg
Full size run.jpg (170.95 KiB) Viewed 286 times
So these are now installed and seem to work OK - final fettling and adjustment will be done once the receiver is in place. Here's a view ...

Moth control runs.jpg
Moth control runs.jpg (220.56 KiB) Viewed 286 times
The rudder cables run from the rudder bar via the fuselage guide to the rudder. At the moment the bar is ply with the cable holes strengthened with CA. If this shows wear then I will swap to fibreglass ...
Rudder bar.jpg
Rudder bar.jpg (104.65 KiB) Viewed 286 times

At the rear the elevator cables exit mid fuselage ...
Rear control runs.jpg
Rear control runs.jpg (145.8 KiB) Viewed 286 times

Now onto the motor installation ...

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Mon May 03, 2021 5:03 pm

Long time since I have done any updates so here goes - no photos this time.

OK - so motor now installed. Looks as though it has upthrust even though the mount has been checked at being 90 deg to the original bearers. Will have to check again to reassure myself!

The main problem has been in the wing mounting. Firstly the upper wing cabane is slightly unmatched left v right. As each is epoxied into the fuselage and the wire is quite heavy gauge it is not possible to just correct the errant one with a quick bend. Adding small blocks to fit inside each wing support wire allows the wing to be mounted correctly.

Once that was sorted I then found that the lower wing, being also band mounted, was hard to keep in the correct position and parallel to the top wing. This was due to there being nothing to 'lock' the wing in the correct position and even if the wing was attached correctly it was easy to catch a wingtip and knock it out of true.

Not sure how they got round this on the original but I have simply ditched the rubber band mounting and replaced it with wing bolts and dowels.

So now onto cockpit detailing. This means getting my 3D printer up and running again - has not been used for a while - so once my current Arduino projects are out of the way then I will be looking to print the pilot(s) and some cockpit furniture.

Post Reply