Veron Tiger Moth

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Well after a lot of expletives the wings are now joined ready for the building up of the centre section.
Wings Joined.jpg
Wings Joined.jpg (956.69 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Initially I misread the plan when building up the panels. If you look at the image of the plan on the earlier post you will see that where the spars meet the centre section there is a clear solid line across the spars. I took this to mean that the spars were trimmed to this line.

When I came to do the centre section I found that the spars are intended to extend into the centre section and be butt jointed against the opposite spar. This meant cutting back the trimmed spars and adding in extensions.

Then when I finally got to join the wings I made the mistake of trusting the use of the trailing edge stock but found after the joint had dried that the sweep back was too great so I then cut them apart and remade the joint - hence all the little bits of off cuts. Looks a mess but the strength is there so it will be no different once sheeted.

Next step is to add the centre leading and trailing edges and the ribs and then I can start the sheeting.

One tip. If like me you are always chopping up bits of good balsa to make the wing tip dihedral supports when join wing halves, I have found a different method. Simply take one of the ubiquitous coffee stirrers or lollipop sticks and mark on it the correct wing tip height. Then tape the stick to the outer most rib with the mark lined up with the bottom of the rib and voila!
Wing Supports.jpg
Wing Supports.jpg (714.96 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 am

Well that was a traumatic session - firstly the sweep was the wrong angle, (through my trusting the triangular strip angles and not building over the plan), and then through misreading the instructions I joined the wings using the bottom wing dihedral. So both times I have had to cut the panels apart and re-glue.

So here they are ready for sheeting. Panel joint feels solid but prior to sheeting I will apply some bandage/epoxy just in case.
Top Wing Panels Joined.jpg
Top Wing Panels Joined.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 189 times
So having made the 8 strut fastenings for the wings, the next stage is to fit the 4 for the top panel and then do the sheeting.

I am starting to think about the modifications needed to add ailerons. I think it should be fairly straightforward if I plan carefully so that the aileron ribs are trimmed correctly.

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:48 pm

Well the top wing is now finished ready for covering at last...
Top Wing Uncovered.jpg
Top Wing Uncovered.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 153 times
So now onto the bottom wing and the first challenge is the bottom rear spar which is doing a good impression of a banana! Hopefully the warp will steam out, otherwise I'll raid my stock and cut a new one.

Colin
Site Admin
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm

OK - bottom wing now completed...
Both wings.jpg
Both wings.jpg (741.33 KiB) Viewed 38 times
So now on to the fuselage and planning for cable control rather than the original pushrods.

Post Reply