Veron Tiger Moth

Colin
Site Admin

Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Tue May 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Having just finished a TN Provost I was looking around the workshop to see what to build next and decided to build a Tiger Moth.
This is not just any Tiger Moth but a Veron Tiger Moth bought some 40 years ago. In fact it was one of the first off their production line as I had an order in with the local model shop as soon as Veron announced it.

I did make a start with it but only got as far as the main fuselage structure and one wing panel. After that relocation following a job change meant that the kit went into storage and for the last 20 years has been stuck on a shelf in the garage.

Kit.jpg
Kit.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Veron Tiger Moth

Post by Colin » Tue May 26, 2020 5:16 pm

On examining the kit and parts already made I was pleasantly surprised that all the glue joints were still solid and there were no warps showing.

The wing trailing edge was showing a few bits of damage either from hangar rash or our whiskered friends, but it will be a simple job to scarf some patches in.

The Veron cowl was missing the front section, but last year I ordered the cowl for the DB Sport & Scale Tiggie which is almost the same size so no problem there.

Here is the kit opened up...
Kit Box.jpg
Kit Box.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Tue May 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Originally it was to be powered by a .30 glow but I will electrify this one, and when ordering the cowl last year, at the same time I ordered a motor from Hobbyking.

Another decision to make is whether to add ailerons. Originally the model was designed for rudder/elevator/motor, but with today's servo technology there is no weight penalty to add ailerons, and with the Tiggy having ailerons on the lower wing only it is not a major exercise.

So next steps...
  • Check the fuselage and wing panel for any brittle balsa
  • Replace/repair as required
  • Modify nose for electric motor
  • Look at changes required for adding aileron and make decision

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu May 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Well it turns out that there was another task to be done first and that is to re-do the manual.
As you will see from the photo below, the manual was essentially typewritten with little formatting and presented as a slightly smaller than A5 format, so it makes it very hard to pick out key steps. To rectify this I scanned the booklet and created a PDF and then used the laptop to extract text from the scan.

Unfortunately the quality of the original meant that the OCR was only about 70% accurate, so a couple of hours were spent correcting this before I could start on producing a manual I could work with.

Original.jpg
Original version
Original.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1195 times
New version.jpg
Revised version
New version.jpg (680.43 KiB) Viewed 1195 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm

Motor mount done and 'T'' nuts glued.

Plan revised and calcs done to get prop driver in right place.

Bearers trimmed down and mount expoxied in place.
Motor mount.jpg
Motor mount.jpg (134.04 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Next thing to consider is the battery box. Plenty of room for the battery so the issue is to get it as forward as possible whilst maintaining access via some sort of removable hatch.

The plan is to put a battery tray in the space just forward of the front cockpit former. However the position of the hatch is a slight challenge as I need to consider the upper wing struts and the top of the cowl which extends back to the front cabane and rolls over the front fuselage.

Since I am not using the Veron cowl, I cannot use the plan to sort this so the only option is for me to make up the DB Sport & Scale cowl so I can use it to mark up where the battery hatch can go.

I have to admit the worst building job for me is working with plastic moulded parts, e.g. canopies and cowls, but I cant proceed without biting the bullet so here we go!

Marked Up Cowl.jpg
Marked Up Cowl.jpg (464.99 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
And now trimmed ready for gluing.

Ready for gluing.jpg
Ready for gluing.jpg (311.39 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm

As mentioned earlier I am using the cowl from the DB Sport & Scale Tiger Moth E kit as one of the Veron cowl parts has gone walk about. In fact the DB one seems to be closer to the Tiggy shape so it could work out better, however the cowl is different from the Veron one and seems slimmer so a lot of the nose needs sanding down.

Plus with the modification for electric, a lot of the original woodwork has gone and with it the mounting points, so with the cowl halves joined the next step is to locate and attach new mounting blocks...
Nose ready for cowl.jpg
Nose ready for cowl.jpg (686.17 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
And now checking - and it fits!
Cowl trial fit.jpg
Cowl trial fit.jpg (388.63 KiB) Viewed 1123 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:13 pm

So now on to the next bit of electrification, the battery/ESC tray.

I decided to mount the tray such that it can be reached from a removable part of the fuselage top, from the front cockpit to the rear of the cowl.

The first step is to attach the mounting blocks ensuring that they are in line and both sides are at the same height.
Tray mounting blocks.jpg
Tray mounting blocks.jpg (478.12 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
And then the battery tray can be fitted in place. (Screwed rather than glued to allow for removal if necessary.) The ESC will be fitted underneath, held by the cable tie you can just see under the Velcro.

The exposed mounting blocks at the rear will eventually be the front support for the servo tray.
Battery tray.jpg
Battery tray.jpg (733.64 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:01 pm

OK - so with the basic structure of the fuselage complete this is put on one side and I take a look at the partially completed wing panel.

This required patching of some of the sheeting, scarfing in of part of a spar where it had broken off and adding of parts not yet done. Not a big task but fiddly, but this is now done. It still needs sheeting and final shaping, but this is done later once joined to the centre section and the strut clips are in place.

As I am planning to add ailerons, this will have to be a top wing panel.
Wing panel 1 complete.jpg
Wing panel 1 complete.jpg (890.88 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Well I now have the starboard top wing done.
Top Stbd Wing.jpg
Top Stbd Wing.jpg (738 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Next is to attack the centre section. A strange build up for this bit and the instructions don't help by referring you to wood sizes that are not in the kit! But no worries - I have a good stock if necessary.

Here's the top centre section plan. I would have expected it to be a separate sub assembly with its spars parallel with the leading edge as normal rather simply using extensions of the outer wing panel spars. Anyway, that's how it was designed so that's how I will build it!
Centre Section Plan.jpg
Centre Section Plan.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1044 times