Tony Nijhuis Vulcan

Models built from commercial plans
Colin
Site Admin

Re: Tony Nijhuis Vulcan

Post by Colin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:54 pm

TN's build notes suggest that the nose section should now be glued to the centre section - but I did not like the idea of this as until the air intakes are built the only support is the single centre section rib which I felt was a bit risky - so I will wait until I get to that stage to attach the two units.

So onto the EDFs and here there were some challenges. The units themselves fitted fine so no worries there.

But making the thrust tubes was a nightmare initially as the laminating film I was using had a mind of it's own. Took me 3 hrs to get an acceptable template.

Once I had the template, then on to the real ones and the first challenge was how to tape the edge of the film down the length of the tube. Obviously I could not just press down on the Sellotape as this would distort the tube, but I then hit on attaching two pieces of tape at each end to hold the diameters, with third piece loosely in the middle to keep the shape.

Then sliding this down a broom handle and supporting that horizontally I was able to put a long length of tape along the outside overlap and press down on the broom handle.

Then there was the challenge of how to tape the inside overlap - and here I simply took a long length of tape and reversed a short length each end, sticking that to the broom handle so that the adhesive side of the main length was facing out. Then slipping the tube over the handle I could then position it so the internal overlap was positioned over the tape and press down again.

Job done !

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:03 pm

The next challenge was the cut-out for the trailing end of the thrust tubes which projects below the previously sheeted section.

This needed to be an angled parabola type shape so I was about to start plotting something when I had a brainwave and used the shadow of the thrust tube supports which then, with a bit of fettling, gave exactly the cut-out I needed ...
16 - Getting the cutout shape.jpg
16 - Getting the cutout shape.jpg (70.82 KiB) Viewed 8251 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

So battle over and the fans and thrust tubes are fitted. Now ready for sheeting before adding the nose section.
17 - Fans fitted.jpg
17 - Fans fitted.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 8250 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Sheeting has now started and the nose section joined to the centre section...
18 - Nose.jpg
18 - Nose.jpg (67.49 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
19 - Nose.jpg
Can you tell what it is yet?
19 - Nose.jpg (69.17 KiB) Viewed 8231 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Well the centre section sheeting is now completed and the nose planked ...
20 - Nose planked.jpg
20 - Nose planked.jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 8217 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Well another week has gone by and the Vulcan is looking a little bit more recognisable.

First of all the turtledecking was fitted. This called for a lot of expletives owing to the compound curves and concave formers involved, anyway it's not fantastic but acceptable ...
21 - Turtle Decked.jpg
21 - Turtle Decked.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
So the next job is fitting the inner lining to the distinctive intakes...
22 - Intakes.jpg
22 - Intakes.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
So can you tell what it is yet?
23 - Can you tell what it is yet.jpg
23 - Can you tell what it is yet.jpg (63.31 KiB) Viewed 8203 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Well the aft fuselage has been glued on and planking is underway.

Strikes me that planking is therapeutic - bit like hitting your head against a wall when you start, but then you get payback as the end is in sight, and then once you get busy with the sandpaper and it all comes together - very rewarding!!
24 - Planking the aft fuselage.jpg
24 - Planking the aft fuselage.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 8162 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 pm

It's a while since the last update but work has been continuing.

The fin has been assembled - final shaping will take place along with the rest of the model on final assembly ...
25 - Initial build of fin.jpg
25 - Initial build of fin.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
Fuselage planking is now complete and first stage sanding is complete and it now looks like a Vulcan fuselage ...
26 - Fuselage ready for wing.jpg
26 - Fuselage ready for wing.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
So now it's on to the wings. First the starboard ...
27 - Starboard wing.jpg
27 - Starboard wing.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
And I could not resist seeing how it looks on the fuselage ...
28 - Now its getting the Vulcan shape.jpg
28 - Now its getting the Vulcan shape.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
(and before you comment the marks on the table were already there - it's an old one which is one reason I am allowed to play in the dining room! I've promised her a new one when I am done - but of course I still have the Westwings Hawk, Jamara Marchettie, Nijhuis Lysander, Cambrian Pioneer to finish !!)

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Well after the Christmas lay off and the diversion of my new keyboard arriving, the Vulcan is back where it belongs - on the dining room table!

The main challenge over the last few weeks has been getting the wiring sorted.
29 - Wiring in place.jpg
29 - Wiring in place.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 7980 times
As it is a 3S2P model I have needed to make up a suitable harness and after that the challenge was to get the servo cables through the the fuselage to the nosewheel hatch.

Since my Vulcan will not have any u/c I will be putting the Rx in there. I had thought to make holes in the fuselage formers for this but forgot that as I got more leads through, the aperture space would get reduced. By the time I had 3 leads going through, getting the 2nd aileron cable in was a real challenge!
30 - TIght squeeze.jpg
30 - TIght squeeze.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 7980 times
So, on to the next job and that is to get the under wing hatch fitting properly. The moulding, surprisingly, is a poor fit, so I need to build up a 1/16" framework in order to get the moulding to lie flush.
31 - Fitting moulded under panel.jpg
31 - Fitting moulded under panel.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 7980 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 pm

A further update on the Vulcan.

The wings are now sheeted and am now fitting the leading edge prior to filling and sanding the whole airframe.
32 - Upper wing.jpg
32 - Upper wing.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
33 - Sheeted lower wing.jpg
33 - Sheeted lower wing.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
I am getting a bit worried as reading on the forums people have had problems flying this version - not enough oomph for a hand launch. With this in mind I am building in a bungee hook, and initial flights will be off bungee.