Soaron Silhouette

Colin
Site Admin

Soaron Silhouette

Post by Colin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Well this is another project that has been dormant of for 20 years plus. Soaron produced many excellent glider designs and the Sunshine is a 142" polyhedral 2 channel design, with optional airbrakes and variable camber.

The kit is a 'short kit' featuring a fibreglass fuselage, full plan and wing ribs on draughting paper that can then be transferred to 1/16" sheet.

One wing was built about 15 years ago and then the whole lot put aside following one of our house moves. Seeing a recent posting on modelflying.co.uk gave me the impetus to get this model finished so it has been pulled from its hiding place, and surprisingly there is little hangar rash and no warping.

The main panel of the other wing is now almost finished, and the outer panel should be complete over the next week.

Then comes the challenge of deciding how to electrify the model. The fuselage is quite sleek so I will have to check all dimensions very carefully.

Watch this space !!

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Soaron Silhouette

Post by Colin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Well the port wing is now built and the two panels setting after being glued, so I have turned my attention to the other wing panels.

These have suffered in the years in storage so I have stripped off the Solarfilm and found the skins to be cracked and the trailing edge the worse for wear, so the cracks have been CA'd and a new trailing edge put in.

Next will be the tail feathers and this will be the easiest part, so just a couple of evenings should see this done and then it's on to the fuselage.

Having second thoughts on the motor. On the basis that the model should be around 2 1/2 lbs AUW, and needing 70W/lb for a glider I ordered a 750KV / 170W motor off Hobbyking, but reading on various forums what others have done with a 3.5m glider I am thinking I may need something a bit beefier. Think I'll ask 4-Max and BRC what they suggest!

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 am

Well 4-Max said they did not have a motor big enough, and BRC, after a couple of q's, have not suggested anything.

So looking at 'MotoCalc', 'DriveCalc' and 'eCalc' I have gone for a Turnigy G15 710KV 575W which on a 3S should turn a 14x7 folder quite happily.

About time for some pics now I think!

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Well got all the gear now so no excuse not to tackle the fuselage. Looks like the Turnigy and aeronaut folder are going to fit in ok once I chop the nose off.

The fibreglass canopy doesn't fit properly - too tight a radius so it is narrower than the cockpit. Lots of options here, but the approach I have taken is to use the existing one as a mould and then make a new one using balsa planking which is then glassed. Initial work looks promising.

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 pm

OK latest update - nose now shorter by 3cm and new nose former glasses in. Aeronaut folder from Gliders, and Turnigy motor will fit OK so just finishing the tail feathers then its figuring out where the servo and lipo go for balance.

Attached is an ad I came across for the Silhouette which shows I need an extra accessory but SWMBO says I can't have one - spoilsport.
Attachments
image.jpg
Silhouette ad from 80s
image.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 14040 times

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Well it is ready for final finishing and the installation of the gear.

Put it together for the first time and by gum it's big!
image.jpg
As a clue, that table is 4'x2'
image.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 14038 times

David Cowley

Post by David Cowley » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am

Colin wrote:Well it is ready for final finishing and the installation of the gear.

Put it together for the first time and by gum it's big!
image.jpg
Colin
Looks good let me know when you intend to fly it

David C :D

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Well it's first test flight was a disaster with it immediately going into a stall from hand launch - fortunately no damage.

Not sure of the cause - CG and linkages have been checked.

Elevator movement has now been increased and a bit more down thrust has been added.

So we will see if that has made any difference next time.

Colin
Site Admin

Post by Colin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Well the extra elevator throw and less foot on the gas saw it flying this week!

Like the Electra it takes a lot of thumb twiddling to keep it in a stable climb under power but once it is up there then it is a real floater and was reacting to small thermals even on a cold December day. Unfortunately there were none big or strong enough to give much extra lift but it is getting me thinking that maybe spoilers would be a good idea!

This is how it looks covered - ignore the weeds, they're gone now - the glider was the priority at the time! (Click on the pic to view without the scroll bars)
Attachments
DSCN6279 small.jpg
DSCN6279 small.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 13493 times