Messerschmitt Me163 Komet

David Cowley Jnr

Messerschmitt Me163 Komet

Post by David Cowley Jnr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 pm

This thread might come as a surprise to some. Not only am I not designing my next model but it's a kit , from wood and electric :shock: ....albeit still for combat :twisted: . It's been some time since I built from wood and not used foam and paper in the construction. My good friend Timo Starkloff from Germany came to visit me in early July and brought along his latest design as a present. Timo is an excellent pilot and designer having had several of his combat model designs published in the german FMT magazine. This time Timo joined forces with his brother Henrik to design and build a CNC Rrouter for producing kits. My kit is the 4th pre-production version and included all the mouldings and cut wood.

Here is a photo of one of the routed sheets
DSC00003.JPG
DSC00003.JPG (59.03 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Here is the assembled fuselage constructed like a free flight model using a keel, formers and stringer method. The construction fits together like a jigsaw with very little "fettling" of the parts required to produce a straight fuselage. The wings will simply plug onto the fuselage using the carbon tubes.
DSC00002.JPG
DSC00002.JPG (59.56 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Finally here is another view of the fuselage. Note the fibreglass motor cowl and motor hiding underneath
DSC00001.JPG
DSC00001.JPG (59.5 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
The fuselage will be covered in Solartex or similar when complete. The wings will be next when I get the plan (Timo forgot to bring one).

David Cowley

Re: Messerschmitt Me163 Komet

Post by David Cowley » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Apologies for the lack of progress pictures on the Komet build. A few fellow members will have seen the completed bare balsa structure a few weeks ago when I brought the model along to a club meeting. Since then the model has been covered in Solartex and finished using enamel paints and the weathering techniques I described in the Myrsky thread. Here are some pictures of the final and finished model......just needs a nice day with some spare time for a test flight. Vital statistics are AUW of 680g (1.5lb in old money) and about 220W from the installed 2,200mAh lipo. For the record my mate Timo's model was 630g (smaller lipo) on 180 watts and was rather quick..... I expect a similar performance using a close flying pattern because she ain't very big. (Timo later installed closer to 300W and reports proper Komet like performance!!)
Attachments
DSC00011.JPG
DSC00011.JPG (61.4 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00010.JPG (61.16 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00009.JPG (61.89 KiB) Viewed 4723 times

David Cowley Jnr

Re: Messerschmitt Me163 Komet

Post by David Cowley Jnr » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34 pm

The 30th November (if you can remember that far back) was a beautiful Sunday morning, so I took the Komet to Holestone to find myself surprisingly alone. Wind was light, the patch firm under foot and the sky blue...perfect for a test flight on the Komet. I installed the battery, did a quick range test and self launched the model into the wind. The model tracked straight out and only a littlle up trim was required (model was balanced slightly nose heavy) otherwise nothing else required. By golly this model is quick....even by my standards! You have to watch its every move else it will bite, it isn't tricky to fly per say its just quick and responsive. loops are big and rolls are within a blink with full aileron. Inverted needs down stick to hold but the glide is superb. I had to perform a full 360 degree outer field circuit with throtttle off to slow it down enough for landing. It's so slippery it just won't decelerate.

So this little project was a complete success, the model is fast, responsive, exciting to fly and looks great in the air.....a real little rocket.