Post by David Cowley » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 am

Colin
Looking good ,I like the idea of yours for setting up for cutting the cowl
David C

Colin
Site Admin

Re: PowerPlanes International Maule M5 Lunar Rocket

Post by Colin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Well sorry, been forgetting to take photos and update this blog as the building has progressed.

There have been a few issues - like how to make and fit the wing struts. The original kit used document binding strips as a basis for these with wire loops pushing into holes in the fuselage at the bottom, and at the wing end, wires fitting into brass tubes fitted into the bottom of the wing - and after mocking up the first one I did not like either the materials used or the fixing method.

As an alternative I stripped some sheet and shaped the strips to an aerofoil shape. I then used magnets rather than the wire fixings and am quite pleased with the results.

Another problem was the fairing over the u/c leg. According to the plan this was a simple wire triangle that was soldered to the u/c leg. No indication of final finish but I guess it was intended to be Solarfilmed over.

Again when I made the first, when comparing it to the original, the fairing was far too small so again that was binned and instead I made wood fairings with brackets attaching it to the u/c leg - a vast improvement.

The kit showed just an open cabin area which I did not like, so I made a removable cabin floor which hides the radio gear and servos, other than the battery monitor. Some seats, a pilot and a printed copy of a real Maule dash completes the cabin.

So now it is finished and the next step is to take it down to the field to start running in the SC52 FS!

Here are some views with the final image including my transmitter to give an idea of scale ...
IMG_0522_small.jpg
IMG_0522_small.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
IMG_0539_small.JPG
IMG_0539_small.JPG (68.32 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
IMG_0526_small.jpg
IMG_0526_small.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
IMG_0538_small.jpg
IMG_0538_small.jpg (94.42 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

David Cowley

Post by David Cowley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Colin
This looks GOOD ! Let me know when you are going down to the field.
David

Bowdd

Post by Bowdd » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Colin

This looks great. Let me know when you maiden this as I would like to see it fly.

David Bowdler