Durafly Vampire

For Almost Ready To Fly models
Colin
Site Admin

Durafly Vampire

Post by Colin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Well the new Vampire has arrived to replace the old one. Will mod this one a bit by adding some CF strip to the booms and moving the CG a bit further forward as suggested in the forums.

Looking forward to getting this in the air as the old one looked (and sounded) so good!

Colin
Site Admin

Re: Durafly Vampire

Post by Colin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:25 pm

OK - so I have treated the Vampire to a new airframe. (Suppose it is a new Vampire now! Oh well)

So I thought should I upgrade the fan? Answer was yes and so now it has an FMS 12 blade fan.

I ran it up yesterday to check the readings and WOW !!

The sound for a start - was pretty good with the stock fan but now there is a pronounced whooosh.

And the power? Well for those not used to electrics we generally aim for 100W/lb for general sport flying, 150W/lb for more aerobatic types and EDF and 200 W/lb for scale, competition etc.

The Vampire weighs in at 2 lb with LiPo. I measured the power as 785W so nearly 400 W/lb !!! I think WOT will be very rare but it has to be tried. Will definitely be a brown trouser day when I do.

Problem is that at WOT it pulled 58A and the stock ESC is rated at 40A. Although it showed no signs of getting warm it is not safe to risk it so a 60A ESC is due this week safe for 80A bursts.

So some exciting flying coming up at the expense of shortened flights. Doing the maths, the previous 5 min flights will be reduced to just under 4 mins at 50% throttle, or 2 mins at full throttle.